Monday, June 27, 2016

Weekend in Venice

A couple weekends ago our class had no mandatory trips or lessons planned and Francesca urges us as students to travel to another city with our friends to explore a different area and appreciate the things that this said city might offer. With that in mind, and due to our fortunate location, my friends and I decided to book an overnight trip to Venice and see what it had to offer. Prior to our arrival, we worked out all the details and ended up getting an apartment right next to San Marco Square for the night.
When we stepped off the train in Venice I remember being immediately overwhelmed by the beauty of the city layout and the architecture. I was so happy to finally be there. I have had friends and family in the past tell me about their experience in Venice and during the entire weekend I could not believe that I was now there and I had the chance to create my own experience. One thing that took me by surprise, and maybe it shouldn’t have, was the amount of people that crowded the streets of Venice. I had been told by Italians from Grado that Venice is considered the land of selfie sticks, and as soon as I stepped off the train I could see why. Nonetheless, I didn’t let it bother me all that much and I focuses on how I’d make my journey to Venice special. After our arrival, my friends and I proceeded to walk all around the city and see what it had to offer.
I was personally intrigued by the “zero roads” layout of the city, which made things very interesting to get around. During our walk, we had stopped in some churches and seen some beautiful architecture, but it was different not having an expert on the topic there to tell us about it. A part of me wished that professor Seaman was there with us during these parts of the trip. He is extremely knowledgeable and it would’ve awesome to hear firsthand the significance of different parts of the city. Not having him there, however, sparked some intellectual curiosity within myself, which later persuaded me to look up some history about the city of Venice to see what I could learn. After a long day of traveling and exploring the city, we finally made it to our apartment, which was beautiful, and we continued to prepare ourselves for the nightlife, which Professor Seaman had told us was amazing. He wasn’t kidding either. With it being night, fewer people crowded the streets and we were able to experience the beautiful scenery of San Marco Square and all of 
Venice in a light that I may never experience again. In the end, I very much enjoyed my time with my friends in Venice and I can’t wait to go on another trip soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment