Sunday, June 5, 2016

First week recap

As my first week in Italy comes to an end, I find myself falling in love with the country more and more every day. For it only being my first week abroad, I have already participated in so many different and entertaining events throughout the week. From a historic journey through the city of Aquileia, tranquil afternoons on the beach of the Adriatic Sea, and poppin' night parties my host sister was nice enough to invite my friends and me too, every day has held a new adventure for me to experience. However, this Saturday would have to be the high point of my week. Francesca was sweet enough to give us the day off from class and surprise us with a trip to one of the most beautiful places I have ever witnessed. 

Our Saturday began with a trip to the Medieval Castle of Villalta in Friuli. Here I was able to learn first-hand about the history of the castle and the importance it served for the region and the people that lived there. Personally, I found myself attracted to the architecture which illustrated a strategic importance towards the defense and warfare that occurred at the castle. The construction of the walls, defense towers, and courtyard provided a vivid depiction of how the castle defended itself and the people living there when needed. After Villalta, we traveled to the beautiful Lombard city of Cividale. Not only did this city overflow with natural beauty, but it was also full of rich history as well. I was able to experience multiple structures and artwork dating to the 8th century which was unbelievable. In the past when I've gone to museums I've never felt that I fully appreciate artwork and architecture of the past, but this trip was different. I was especially intrigued by the Altar di Duke Ratchis and the Tempietto Longobardo. When learning and witnessing these attractions I not only appreciated the beauty but I felt I was also able to grasp an idea of unique examples of medieval architecture and art of the time. My favorite part of the city, however, would have to be the breathtaking sight of the Natisone River which runs through the city. With its aesthetically pleasing views and extensive history, it's a place I wouldn't mind living in the future.

After Cividale, we continued our day to a wine tasting event at the Renaissance Castle of Spessa. This Castle is famous for all the amazing wine they produce and I felt so grateful to go there and try some of it myself. Professor Seaman tried to teach us the proper way to taste wine and although I tried my best, I can't say I truly know how to taste the difference in wine or characterize its "personality." I still had an amazing time and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, it was time for dinner at the farm house of Saint Egidio just above the Medieval Abbey of Rossazzo. This had to be my favorite part of the entire day. We drove out to the wine country and I was immediately overwhelmed by the picturesque scenery of where we'd be having a five-course meal of extraordinary Italian cuisine. This was easily one of the best meals I've ever had and to be able to eat it with an indescribable view made it even better.
I haven't been this happy and relaxed in a long time and its the greatest feeling in the world. I can tell the other students from DePauw feel the same way too. It's clear to see that Italy is a magical place. To be able to make Joe Ross crack a smile this big must mean there's something incredibly special about this country. I've never seen this kid so happy in my life, and if only one week in Italy can do that, then I can't wait to see what the next seven have in store! (S/O to Joe Ross) 

Ci Vediamo!

1 comment: