Sunday, June 5, 2016

Ciao! Coming to Italy is an experience filled with so much excitement and happiness. It is evident that nature, food, etc make up the beauty of Italy however what is less know that contributes to the beauty of Italy is the value of family. I arrived at the Grado train station where I was gladly approached by my new family for the next two months. The instant we made eye contact, the youngest son walked towards me with a big smile on his face, holding a sign with my name and many different pictures of me on it. Instantly, I realized that this is the place for me for the next two months and these are the  people I will be calling family. While living in the house, I notice the interactions between the family member and how quickly they were to include me in their endeavors. Smiles, laughter and many emotions fills each person when they are together and when they are not someone is always being talked about. One of my favorite family experiences so far was meeting the Grandparents. I was welcomed with kisses and hugs like I was already apart of the family, which in thier eyes I was. We sat at the dinner table and ate, what in my opinion might be the best carbonara in the world, salad, fragole con panna, then topped it off with a caffe; a typical Italian lunch. Although their was a huge language barrier between me and the family, their was still roars of laughter soaring throughout the house and never once did I feel left out or embarrassed. One moment that was very dear to me while With the grandparents, was when I addressed the grandfather as Papi. In my immediate family, we address the elderly as Papi, papa, or grandpa. For this experience and the love that I was feeling, I felt the need to address him as such. When I did, the biggest smile began to form as he walked towards me, took my head in his hand and pull me close to him. It warmed my heart to see how that one name can cause such emotion within him. This experience showed me that love and family knows no language. Emotional connections alone can be its own communication and language and this is what I felt amongst the family. I can surely say that in the span of a week I already genuinely love this family and look at them as my own. Sorry mom and dad!!




No comments:

Post a Comment