Monday, June 6, 2016

The Start

Ciao, as I’m currently typing this,  I’m absorbing the rays on one of the beautiful beaches in Grado and staring at Slovenia. If you can’t tell already my summer has been pretty rough so far. After enduring the endless lines at O’Hare (FYI TSA is fixed it took me five minutes not hours) and sleepless flight to Munich (thanks crying babies), I had finally arrived at the airport in Trieste! Entering the airport Austin and me, were very curious to see who our host dad would be for the next two months, there were many people holding signs of American names but none said our names. All of a sudden a guy walks out in front of everyone and says “Kyle? Austin?” we responded with, “Fabio?” and he immediately hugged us both! I could tell we were in good hands.
                  As we were driving to my new Italiano home for the summer, Fabio my host dad, talks about how Austin and I will have a hunger to learn Italiano. We understood this as a hunger to learn the language but Fabio corrected himself and just meant we will be hungry and well have to learn the language because we'll starve if not. Just a few words on Fabio, this man has probably lived one of the coolest lives ever plus he’s hilarious for not knowing much English. Fabio knows five languages, served the Italiano military, played pro football, plays some astounding Bossa Nova, was a Rod Stewart roadie and has waited all across Europe (he’s a professional waiter to be exact). I’ll leave it to you to decide what you think is the coolest but I’m sure I’ll discover something even cooler in time. Every time we were walking through Grado, at least three people shout out “Ciao Fabio!” He’s quite the man! One night Fabio told us that in Europe, being waiter can be a practical job here. Austin and I thought how we could imagine telling our parents “Hey guys, so I’m not a huge of the whole going to college I’m going to wait in Europe, Ciao!” They’d flip. (Although currently my new back up plan, in case premed or SNL comedic doesn’t work)
 Much more to come as the weeks’ progress… Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment