Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Food of Italy (Post 6)

Something I have surprisingly yet to get sick of this trip is the food. Although I am constantly eating the same meals consisting of bruschetta, prosciutto, pizza, and pasta, I wake up each day craving them again and again. Normally if I have something one day I don’t want it for a few more but here it is just different. I wonder if it is because the pizza and pasta is so much fresher and tastier here than it is in America. Or possibly just being here emerged in the Italian culture makes me crave their food. So often my friends long for a cheeseburger, Chinese food, or simply just any other type of food but not me. Instead of going to the market and making myself a turkey sandwich I would prefer to sit down at a nice cafe and enjoy a plate of pasta while watching admiring the views and listening to the Italian speakers. I think my love for Italian food has increased my vocabulary and grammar skills for food, interacting with servers, and dealing with the check.
My love for this food has led me to want to learn how to cook it so I can continue to enjoy a piece of my experience when I return home. The past two nights I have decided to help my host mother in the kitchen with the cooking of pizza, pasta, and dessert. I helped her make the dough and then spread the sauce along it and then put the various vegetables on top. Making the pasta and dessert was much more difficult for me and I’m not sure if I will be able to make it at home as well as my host mother makes it here. But at least I have a recipe for some delicious pizza!


No comments:

Post a Comment