Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Dance Performance!

On Monday night my host mom, Susan, had her long anticipated dance performance. At one of our first dinners together Susan told Lauren and I about her dancing and the performance in the up coming weeks. And after many nights of rehearsal, the day had finally come! When I arrived home from after class Susan was doing the finishing touches of her hair and makeup and then was out the door! Her mother and father picked me up around 8 to drive to the venue. 

Once we arrived and got seats I practiced my Italian by talking to Susan's niece Allegra. At nine o'clock the show began. The first group to dance were three young girls probably 7 or 8 years old. After that was a solo techno artist, she had a unique style of dancing and I was very impressed by it! Then two teenage hip-hop groups performed. And finally Susan's group! They did a slower tempo, dramatic dance to an acoustic version of Crazy in Love. I had a smile on my face the whole time and definitely thought Susan was the best in her group! Their second number was a mixed gender salsa dance which I was also really impressed by!

Although I could not understand the MC well because she spoke in very fast Italian, it was nice to be able to understand the lyrics of the American songs that some dance groups used. To conclude the performance the MC and her partner did a fast tempo duet salsa number that blew everyone away (I think that they were professional salsa dancers). After that all the dancers were called up to the stage and participated in a Zumba dance led by the MC and her partner. 

Just when I thought the performance was over, everyone in the audience was called out of their seats to do a Zumba dance as well. Mario, Susan's son, hid under his chair because he didn't want to dance. This was my first instinct as well, but Allegra pulled me into the isle and we participated in the dance. It was actually a lot of fun! Although I'm sure I looked like a fool, I had a smile on my face the whole time as I looked around and saw the whole room dancing. 

It was definitely a memorable night! I was glad to be able to support Susan as well as really feel like part of the family for a night!

Ciao for now,

Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment