Saturday, June 4, 2016

Week 1/Grado 2K16/The Adventure Begins

Day 1/Monday, May 30

I have been anticipating this day and it has finally arrived.  I am both excited and nervous.  I am looking forward to this adventure and all it has to offer.  The plane rides coming into Italy flew by (no pun intended). I slept the entire way from Chicago to Munich and then once we got on the plane from Munich to Trieste I  fell asleep again. I feel as though I could fall asleep anywhere. The only bad thing about falling asleep on the first plane was that I missed both of the on flight meals. Definitely not the end of the world, but I was a little hungry when I woke up. After two flights I arrived to Trieste. I was thankful their were other DePauw students on the plane and to see familiar faces, especially when we arrived in Trieste.  

Upon initially arriving in Trieste there was a bit of a culture shock. As soon as we all got off the plane we quickly met our host families. It was kinda crazy to be separated from the other DePauw students that were on my flight immediately after arriving in Italy. It felt a little isolating.  My family was there to greet me, but the culture shock started right away because my family speaks no English. They know only a few words and the father of the house (Flávio) hardly even speaks. These conditions made the initial car ride to Grado rather awkward because there was not a lot of talking. The mother would only occasionally turn around and tell me via hand motions how far away we were from their house. The language barrier is still thick, but I look forward to learning the language and communicating better.  They are very nice people and I appreciate them opening their home to me.  

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment