Saturday, June 4, 2016

Week 1/Navigating Grado/Lost in Grado

Day 2, Tuesday, May 31
I went out with all of the DePauw students. The majority of the DePauw students, whether on our trip or the May term live close to one another and within the central part of the city. However there are four of us that live about 2 miles from the central part of city:  Mitch, Izzy, Brian, and myself. My family has provided me with a bike to get around and I am grateful for it.  I thought I was learning the city and I have a map, but somehow Mitch and I found ourselves lost.  It took us over two hours to get home on our bikes.  If that was not enough, it was poring down rain. We kept passing the same landmarks over and over.  Finally, we were able to make it home, but I had a hard time communicating to my host family, that I had been lost for the last two hours.   The language barrier really clouded my message. I finally just pointed to the word lost in a dictionary. It has been somewhat of a struggle to learn my way around Grado and communicate with my family, but I am hopeful both will get easier.  Grado is a beautiful city and I am looking forward to exploring it and getting to know it better.  I am thankful to have DePauw friends here to help and share this experience with.  

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment