Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Closing Week One

Caio to my people,

       So our first week here in Grado has come to an end. Following my last post, we visited a town called Aquileia. There we had our first history lesson about the great city that Aquileia used to be. When we climbed the bell tower, the views we saw from the top were amazing. Let's just all agree that Italy is definitely pleasing to the eye. We were surprised with a trip into the wine country to tour beautiful castles and enjoyed a dinner in the lush hills and once again I was able to fully appreciate the scenery of Italy.
       Quincy and I have definitely become closer with our host family. At first there were some awkward moments such as walking into the kitchen early in the morning to get a glass of water and having a conversation with my host dad, in my pajamas, while we barely understood each other and had just met. But now I am comfortable enough to go to breakfast in my pajamas like the rest of the family. My host family often helps me and Quincy study for our tests. They ask about our family back home, Erica, our host sister, hangs out with us in our room, and we chat with Andrea, our host brother, while our host mom Patritizia worries about where we are going and what time we will be home at night just like my mom does.
       My Italian is also slowly coming along.  I know a lot more words and phrases to get by at restaurants and stores. Living on a small island with very few english speaking people has definitely helped a lot because it forces me to learn more and to practice. Some of my friends and I went on a day trip on Sunday to Venice. Every Italian there spoke very good English so I didn't have to use anything that I had learned. Although it is such a beautiful city, its crowdedness and overexploitation made me so thankful that I get to spend 2 months in Grado.

I just did my first load of laundry here (yay mom you'd be proud!) and now I will get back to my studying for our test tomorrow.

Buonanotte,
McKenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment