Monday, July 18, 2016

Who would have thought a trip to Italy would have done this?

This is our last week in Grado, and it comes with a bitter sweet taste (it's only sweet because I haven't been home since Christmas and I miss my family so much!). It's been a short 8 weeks but i've come to realize that I have learned  a lot, not only with the Italian culture and language, but also about myself. I feel I've had countless moments of major self reflection, which allowed me to see what I want out of my life, and those around me. With all the time that I've had to think of nothing (having finished my homework assignments and exams for the week), I found time to focus in on my own thoughts. Daily visits to the beach and sunbathing allowed for this quite often. For example, I have decided that I do plan to go for my PhD in Psychology, something that I would have never imagined doing before this trip. I've always felt that it was too much, and that I didn't have the capability to achieve such an accomplishment. But through a few conversations with my professor, my host family, and a slap in the face by the different culture I was emerged in, I realized that school was the best I would ever get out of life. Nothing beats learning new things, because that's what makes life exciting. Even if I were to get my dream job in the future, I know for a fact, nothing could ever be as stimulating as gaining new information on life that I wouldn't get working my 9-5 job. A PhD is just another way to meet new people, gain new connections and learn new things that I'm sure will bring joy to my life, like the Italian culture has.
I've also learned to be just a bit more humble. I've learned more so that my point of view may not always be correct, and that sometimes it's best to just sit back and observe. Sometimes, saying nothing is the best way to present myself and go about things. It's hard to put into words how I came to realize these things about myself, as I'm sure it was more than just the peaceful environment that led to these introspections. Although it definitely did help, the only other things that I can think of is the more personal and private conversations I've gotten to have with my professor. This allowed me to gain insight that none of my peers would have ever been able to offer. Being in another country has allowed me to see how much I miss those back home, and created a much deeper appreciation for both them and the institutions I'm apart of such as DePauw. That being said, I actually can't wait to dive back into my DePauw career and finish off my last year stronger than I ever have. I see more so what I'm capable of, and know I can use these new skills acquired from both the program and my own insight to aid me in finishing my college education and beyond.

Because I'm going home and can't wait to see my beautiful mother (and the rest of my family of course. I just like this picture)

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. Italy is reach in culture, food and sight seen and very lovely peoples. This make trips to Italy very wonderful. This blog show this trip is unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete