Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Hidden Beauties

A few days ago we had an Italian professor come in and talk to us about the beauty of things. At first I thought his philosophical thoughts wouldn't interest me to much but I actually found myself very intrigued by what he had to say. He talked to us about how everything we look at we have instant thoughts and judgements about the beauty of it. Just because something is not beautiful in our eyes there could be so much more to it that our mind is not grasping. Something he talked about that I thought was in particularly interesting was that when we look at something our mind instantly makes either a positive or negative judgement about it. Even if we think it is in the middle our judgement leans one way.

His lecture included a lot of visuals which also helps to keep things interesting. The visuals included illusion photos where we could see the visual but none of us would catch the hidden beauties and figures in the photos. For example something we thought was just a drawing of boring flowers actually had people in them. Or a picture of swirls looked like they were constantly moving were actually sitting still. These things are funny because we do not notice them at first glance and also do not notice them until someone pointed it out for us. Once they are pointed out its hard to stop noticing them.

The lecture was definitely something I enjoyed more than I expected and I would love to learn more about this professor's teachings more in depth in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment