Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Celebrating the 4th in Another Country

The Fourth of July has been my favorite holiday since I was little. I think then it was because I adored the colors red, white, and blue together, but as I got older it was because my favorite thing to do was be up at the lake, barbecuing with family and friends, watching fireworks and doing all great American things. Being in a country that obviously does not have this holiday that I love so much was a little strange at first. There was no fireworks, no lake, no America, but it turned out I had an awesome day here with my Italian “family.”
When I went to conversations in the morning I could already sense great excitement from everyone. Everyone was wanting and ready to celebrate our nation’s holiday even from thousands of miles away. Conversations and class were light and had more of a positive feel because everyone was so happy. To make it even better the Seaman’s took us out for lunch to enjoy one of the best burgers that I have ever had. All the Americans in the island clustered into one restaurant eating American food (that honestly tastes better here) was the perfect setting for an abroad Fourth of July celebration.
Later after our afternoon class we headed to the beach were we all could be together and celebrate. Spending the day with friends at the ocean in Italy was equally as perfect (almost better) than spending it with friends at a lake. Yesterday was the perfect combination of celebrating America while enjoying Grado and each other’s company.

No comments:

Post a Comment