Tuesday, July 5, 2016

God Bless the USA (and Fabio)

Yesterday was the first time in my life to have spent our National Independence Day outside of the country, but with the way the day went, it really didn't feel like I am still away home. For one, Michael and Francesca were kind enough to take us out for a nice lunch to the best burger spot in Grado and we were able to celebrate as group a great American holiday in between classes. The environment was light and joyful, everyone celebrating the 4th of July the best way we know how, stuffing ourselves with grilled red meat and drinking beer throughout the day. Many of my classmates even made it out to the beach to continue the party. I elected to play a few games of basketball with a few friends and a group of Italians. For the first time all summer we even had enough to go 5 on 5 and play full court. I love playing basketball in Italy because I actually feel like I'm good at the sport. Europeans have always been better at sports with their feet so us Americans tend to have an upper hand in the matter. I may have played one of my best games ever, leading the team in steals, rebounds and even points! I drained the game clinching three and walked off before it went in like Steph Curry, knowing it was good. That was quite a good feeling and really got me in a good mood for the evening. Turns out, come dinner time, all that had happened up to that point was surpassed just from dinner. Fabio, that lovely man, even made us a traditional American dinner with burgers, fries, and to top it all off, watermelon for dessert. In my over five months in Europe, I had never felt more at home. Watermelon on a warm July 4th day just makes sense and Fabio struck quite the chord in preparing us some. Your homestay family is always looking out for you here and I couldn't be more thankful. And Fabio makes a burger that is honestly better than many American dads have made for me in the past. I wish I could give him a badge with red white and blue that said grill master. He deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment