Saturday, July 16, 2016

Golden Gloves in Goriza!

On Friday my class had a day off! This was to allow for a long weekend of traveling for those leaving Grado. But because I didn't have any long distance travel plans it was nice to have a day to sleep in and not set an alarm! Around 3 o'clock myself and most of the other students staying in Grado this weekend took a trip to Gorizia to watch the amateur division of the Golden Gloves! The bus ride was around an hour from Grado to Gorizia and I was excited to arrive because I had never seen boxing match first hand (or really even on tv for that matter). 

It was very interesting to learn the rules of boxing and cheer in the crowd! I enjoyed watching each match because they were short and fast paced, so it was easy to stay engaged. The fist couple of fights were between boxers in lower weight classes, but as the competition continued and the boxers got bigger it was even more exciting to watch! I was glad to have gone and enjoy a new experience!

Before I left in the afternoon, Susan, my host mom mentioned that she and Mario (her son) were going to a carnival at night. And to our surprise when returning home, Grado was in full swing! There was a huge parade going down the main street with music, dancing, and very impressive floats. The streets were lined with people and it seemed that the entire town was out celebrating. This is one of the things that I love about Grado, there is always something going on. And if you leave for even 5 hours, its likely that you come home to a surprise!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment