Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Dolomites!!

This weekend our trip to the Dolomites finally arrived! It was the weekend I had been waiting for all summer. In one of my geology classes last semester, sedimentology and stratigraphy, I learned all about the formation of dolomites. So I was very excited to see the mountains that I learned about a few months prior.

On Friday we stayed in Cortina. During our free time Michael took most of the group on a double tram ride up to one of the dolomites peaks. As we neared the top, our tram was surrounded by a white fog. It was a little scary to not be able to see where we were going or how far up we were. And stepping off the tram felt like being on another planet because the fog made it impossible to see off the mountain peak.

We had about 15 minutes left on top of the mountain and the fog began to clear. And it was such an amazing view. I was so glad that the fog lifted, even 15 minutes of the view from the mountain down to Cortina was breathtaking.

Instead of tramming all the way down the mountain back to Cortina, myself and 4 other girls decided to hike from the first tram stop back to our hotel. The hike ended up being 13 miles, which left us all very sore the next morning. But the views and experience made it all worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment